GiraffesConsulting is a professional career coaching practice established by Terrylynn Smith for the purpose of helping people from all walks of life move into rewarding employment or navigate a successful career change. Recognizing that each of us has a unique personality and outlook, Terrylynn takes an individualized approach to each of her clients to help them find their “inner giraffe,” tapping into their own internal wisdom to guide them to the career of their dreams. At different times, she acts as career coach, life coach, accountability coach, cheerleader–whatever is needed at the moment to help the client move forward.
Whom We Can Help:
- People who have recently been laid off or unemployed
- People who are tired and bored in their current career and looking for a change
- People wishing to expand their horizons or reinvent themselves professionally
- Graduates looking to land their first “real” job
- College students looking to position themselves competitively for the workforce before graduation
- Corporations in need of outplacement services
“They call me the employment whisperer. I help people who are unemployed or stuck in their career get moving, face their fears and land a position with purpose–not just a job with a salary.”
About Terrylynn Smith
When Terrylynn Smith was a high school cheerleader, little could she have predicted that this extracurricular activity would eventually shape all aspects of her professional career. These days, as the founder of GiraffesConsulting, Inc. Terrylynn is a cheerleader of a different sort, fiercely committed to helping and encouraging corporate executives, baby boomers, college students/graduates and other success minded individuals as they take control over their professional and personal lives.
Before launching GiraffesConsulting, Terrylynn was a Human Resources Executive who coached employees for nearly two decades. When a corporate merger put her future with the company in jeopardy, she proactively developed her own plan for the next phase of her career, laying the foundation for what would become the Giraffes Theory and her positive message, “Change happens–take control!” Today, as a skilled life/career coach, Terrylynn works with clients from all walks of life, drawing on the metaphor of the giraffe to help them land the perfect job or career, one that plays to the client’s strengths, skills and passions.
Known for her positive, empathetic approach, Terrylynn uses attentive listening and curious, deep questioning to help her clients find the answers she believes they already possess within them, then develop a strategy designed to help them reach their goals. This process helps turn an otherwise difficult time of transition into a journey that is much easier to navigate.
Terrylynn is a graduate of the Georgetown University Leadership & Coaching Program, a member of the Society for Human Resource Management and a member of the International Coaching Federation and National Association for Female Executives. In her spare time, she loves to walk a good golf course, regardless of the weather.
Terrylynn Smith is a champion for every person who has the will and the desire to work toward their career goals in a way that helps them feel proud and in control.
Giraffes Theory: Our Underlying Philosophy
The inspiration behind the Giraffes Theory came to Terrylynn Smith during a trip to South Africa. While observing giraffes in their natural habitat, she observed several correlations between the behaviors of the giraffe and the behaviors that lead to success. From this life-changing experience has come a proven strategy that Terrylynn shares with all her clients, empowering them to see the bigger picture in formulating a plan for their career.
Four Key Characteristics of the Giraffe:
- The giraffe leans forward, not backward. Its long neck naturally extends at a forward trajectory from the body, leading it ever forward—a key characteristic to have in times of transition.
- The giraffe has a long vision. As the world’s tallest mammal, the giraffe can see above the throng, beyond the immediate obstacles to the horizon beyond.
- The giraffe is naturally curious. The length of its neck enables the giraffe to take a closer look at its surroundings, from the treetops above to the grass below.
- The giraffe is flexible and able to stretch. While able to move its head both high and low, the giraffe has the natural ability to touch heights others can’t reach.
These four characteristics form the foundation of the Giraffes Theory, a profound and transformational way of approaching career changes and other life transitions in an empowering way.
It Only Takes Courage and a Plan.
Landing a new job or embarking on a new career is a major life change by all accounts. It can be a scary and intimidating prospect even in the best of times. Utilizing the principles of the Giraffes Theory, Terrylynn helps her clients develop a plan of action derived from their own internal wisdom and innate forward-thinking abilities. This plan will look different for everyone, but it will be definitive enough to provide structure, yet flexible enough to accommodate the unexpected twists and turns.